Factory Coach Production
The right to make coaches was restricted to blacksmiths, harness-makers
and bridle-makers. There are records about such rights from the years 1562 up
to 1597. In 1715 saddlers were also given the right. Special producers - coach-makers
- have been mentioned since 1859 after the first trade laws and regulations
were issued. One of the difficulties in coach construction in our country was
the lack of due and suitable material. Leather with smooth enough finish, for
example, had to be imported from Mayence and Worms, wood (bigon, mahonia, walnut,
poplar) was usually ordered from America, steel springs from Offenbach and Steyr,
patent leather from England, silk fabric, upholstery, fine leather and kid from
On the other hand, Czech coaches were made mainly in Prague and Pilsen, and were later exported to Germany, Roumania, Balkan, Russia and the East. Up to the year 1890 there were 12 coach factories registered in Bohemia, out of these 4 in Prague, 1 in Pilsen, etc. Up to the same year there were 20 saddlers in Prague and 80 in the provinces, the production constituted of approximately 1, 500 coaches and in the whole Austria-Hungary the reckoned production was 2, 360 road vehicles.
|In the USA, the vehicles produced were||
|family and luxury||
|for pig transport||
|trade and freight||
|all kinds of sleigh||
On the contrary, in 1891 in Austria-Hungary the number of coaches
was: import - 150 pcs, export - 934 pcs, in 1900 - 426 and 852 pcs, in 1903
- 338 and 473 pcs, that means an imperceptible number compared to the USA. In
the whole monarchy in 1902 there were 386 vehicle factories employing 8, 415
workers, but aside these there were 10, 304 additional licences for vehicles
with 21, 891 workers. In 1906 there were 9 bigger plants with the average staff
of 18 workers, 21 plants with the average staff of 33 workers, 5 plants with
60 workers on average, 4 plants with 172 workers on average and 8 plants with
the average staff of 840 workers.
Completely specialized factories and establishments started to undertake in coach production in the Austrian monarchy. In 1844 a court factory for J. Rohrbacher vehicles was set up in Vienna, two years later a coach factory in Pilsen "V. Brožík and son" and in 1853 the monitored coach factory "Schustala & Comp. " in Kopřivnice. In the second half of the 19th century, smaller establishments and workshops were active here, based mainly on their highly professional level of individual crafts, for example the production of coach bodies and underbodies of J. Haucker in Javorník near Jeseník and elsewhere.
The oldest preserved photograph of the building of the former hereditary bailiff's office - view taken from the old graveyard
Original bailiff's office with barns and annexes in the drawing of a Kopřivnice native, Ludvík Bortl (Bailiff's museum archives)
The oldest known logo of the Schustala & comp.
Original barn belonging to the bailiff's office, where Ignác Schustala started the first handicraft production of barouches and coaches in1850. (The barn was renewed in the 90s thanks to the Tatra company)
Coach factory around the year 1872
Advertising printed matter, 1876